In the implementation of the United Nations Special Program for Economies for Central Asia (SPECA) Road Map, the International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation (ITFC) organized a regional Expert Meeting in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan on 10-11 March 2010, in cooperation with the Kyrgyzstan Government, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). The purpose of this Meeting was to provide a forum for a substantive discussion of the national and regional AfT needs assessment priorities prepared by UNDP and to prepare for the Ministerial meeting to be held in Azerbaijan later during the year 2010.
During the 11 sessions of the meeting, presentations were made and discussions held on the subjects of :
1. Trade and development challenges in Central Asia;
2. Why the Aid for Trade initiative is relevant for the SPECA region;
3. The findings to date of the national Aid for Trade needs assessments;
4. The support to the Aid for Trade agenda in Central Asia;
5. The preparations for the ministerial conference in Azerbaijan;
6. Assembling the perceptions and views from Central Asia; and
7. Mobilizing resources to address priority needs in the SPECA countries.
The 73 participants expressed their appreciation of the contributions from the Government of Kyrgyzstan, ITFC, UNECE and UNDP to the success of the expert meeting, the invitation from the Government of Azerbaijan to host the ministerial meeting, the preparatory work carried out by the authors of the needs assessments and by the other presenters, and the active participation of those present in the expert meeting.
For more details: